Friday, July 19, 2024

Things My Grandparents Used to Say

Old-fashioned sayings my grandparents said



My grandparents were raised in Nebraska and moved to Texas as young adults. They had a plethora

of wonderful and bizarre sayings. For years I've blithely quoted them, not realizing that perhaps most

people have no idea what I'm talking about. How many of these sayings have you heard?

Ugly stick. As in, “can't beat that with an ugly stick.” Means something is good. I think. 


Eggs in your beer. Common use: “what do you want, eggs in your beer?” Means “what
more do you want?”

“Doll rags.” Common uses, “shot to doll rags” or “beat to doll rags.” My mom said this
one comes from Louis L'Amour westerns.

“She lost her wing, poor thing.” My grandma would say this when we were looking for sympathy.
“Grandma, I skinned my knee!” “She lost her wing, poor thing.” I discovered the origin for this one
in a book of children’s poems. It's part of a poem called “The Wind Doth Blow.”

“Lord willing and the creek don’t rise.” My family lived on a piece of land with a low water crossing,
and sometimes we would find ourselves stranded on one side or the other, so this became especially
meaningful.

“That’s all she wrote.” I have no idea where this one came from, but my grandma said it all the time.

“There you have it, sports fans.” My grandpa watched sports all weekend, from bowling to tennis to golf.
This was a favorite saying of his.

“That’s highway robbery.” Means that something is too expensive. What highway? What robbery? My
mom and dad both say this one.

“Let’s get out of this chicken outfit.” Meaning: “We need to get out of here.” I seriously have no idea but
my grandma and mom said this all the time. 

“More than you can shake a stick at.” Though also a saying involving a stick, this means a whole lot.
Immeasurable. I mean, one can shake a stick at a lot of stuff.


So there are my favorite family sayings. Have you heard any of these? Do you have any to share? I'd love to hear them!



No comments:

Post a Comment